Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.

How can I get my boyfriend to understand that just because

How can I get my boyfriend to understand that just because im a very independent person,that doesnt mean i need him around any less than the average woman would?We've been together for 2yrs. now and he constantly says that I should "Stop acting like a man and be the girl once in awhile."I get confused by this because I always thought guys wanted an independent/responsible partner.Im well aware that men like to feel wanted as much as women do but growing up ive pretty much had to depend on myself so its hard to be someone/something im not.I believe im a control freak and it just eats him up.I love my boyfriend but wish things could be little more normal between us.its like hes the woman and im the guy sometimes.Do you have any advice for me on how to switch things up?

Good Afternoon,

He won't get what you want him to get unless you try to change your behavior a bit. When you catch yourself wanting to have control over a situation, step back and let him participate.

The issue is that maybe you're self sufficient, which makes him feel uncomfortable and not needed (threatened that you don't love him or need him) That has to do with his self confidence , and not necessarily what you do or say.

Explain to him that being self sufficient does not mean that there are times when you do need him and his love/support. You are still the same person and he had gotten to know you better with time. That is why he is most likely saying he wants you to be like in the past (which is not realistic)