Kristin
Kristin, Counselor
Experience:  Psychotherapist and Relationships Expert with 11+ years exp. Dating, Relationships, Marriage.
45544450

Ive been dating this guy for about five months, known him

I've been dating this guy for about five months, known him for over 3 years. Things have been great. In the past he was a total womanizer. When we started dating, he wssn't seeing anyone else but lately I've gotten a sense that he now is. We had a fight last weekend and now he is totally withdrawn and distant. He decided to spend this weekend alone with no plans which hurt. Should I persue this or just let things settle? He's starting to demonstrate some of his old behavior such as avid facebooking, texting etc.

I know him and talking will push him further away.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Kristin replied 4 years ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

I understand how hurtful this is to you, especially after 5 months of dating. It's possible that he is seeing someone else now, however even if that is the case he should be forthright in communicating with you about what is going on. Shutting you out due to a fight is destructive to the relationship, and gives you the message that he does not care.

Be very cautious as he still may have some of his womanizing tendencies. Some of the behaviors recently would indicate at the very least that perhaps he is not ready for a true committed relationship.

Yes, I would not contact him at all. Allow him his space and try to stay busy with your own life, friends, activities. Definitely let things settle. If he does show up again, let him know that if he is to continue being with you, that you need him to not disappear when a fight occurs, and that you also would like to know if he is dating someone else. Don't settle for less than you deserve in a good partner!

Please click ACCEPT so that I'm credited for my advice. Thank you.

Kristin, Counselor
Experience: Psychotherapist and Relationships Expert with 11+ years exp. Dating, Relationships, Marriage.