Dr.G.
Dr.G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota
15682972

im moving in with my boyfriend. we have been together for a

im moving in with my boyfriend. we have been together for a year and a half. he has a roommate who is single and kind of a bum. i really feel like i want it to just be me and my boyfriend and i want his roommate to move out. but my boyfriend wants him to stay because he likes the extra money and he feels bad having him leave. whos right in this situation? am i asking too much to want privacy with my boyfriend?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr.G. replied 4 years ago.
You are not asking too much to want privacy. BUT..... here you go making all these demands about his life and his living arrangements that you really have no business making. If you don't like the roommate then you don't move in until he is gone. But don't go demanding that he kick the roommate out just to be with you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

is it healthy for a relationship to have a third person around all the time though? his roommate doesnt have a car so my boyfriend drives him to work, they grocery shop together and we all three eat dinner together all the time. am i just wanting different things then he does?

Expert:  Dr.G. replied 4 years ago.
No its not healthy for a third wheel, but technically you will be the third wheel if you move in. Everything is already established and they have their way of doing things. You just can't go asking him to change all that.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have been feeling like i will be the third wheel. should i not move in then? should i say something to my boyfriend?
Expert:  Dr.G. replied 4 years ago.
You don't move in just yet. But, you talk with your boyfriend and see where the relationship between you and him is going. If he wants more, and for you to move in, then you discuss having the place to yourselves. Until then, don't move in because it will only cause more problems.
Dr.G., Psychologist
Experience: Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota