Dr.G.
Dr.G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota
15682972

I got married a year ago to a man who bas never been around

I got married a year ago to a man who bas never been around developmentally disabled people. My oldest son is developmentally disabled and is 25 years old. I contract with the state to take care of him. My husband new this statged he was fine with it. My son does have anger issues. Its part of his disability. My husband when courting me was very good with him now he acts like he hates him. Him and my son. Can't even be in the same room together without it becoming a major fight. My husband has to be right and thinks he can bully my son into behaving. Its depressing me and I don't know what is the right thing to do.
Chat Conversation Started
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Wbheres the answer
I think the first line of intervention should be educating your husband on your son's condition. By education I mean: understanding the condition and the limitations that come with it, what are normal and abnormal behavior that accompany the condition, and intervention to help those behaviors. If I were you, I would get the two of you to go talk to either a therapist or someone who works with developmentally disabled individuals and who can sit and talk with the two of you. Hopefully, your husband hearing it from someone else might have a greater impact then just you telling him. this is where I would start. Good luck.
Dr.G., Psychologist
Experience: Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota