Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.
19260254

I recently bought a home, and relocated from FL to Cape Cod,

I recently bought a home, and relocated from FL to Cape Cod, Mass. My home needs a ton of work, and I hired a Brazilian workman to do work on my home. Over the past few weeks, he has expressed interest in me, and has asked me out. I feel rather uncomfortable with this because I hired him to do work, and he hasn't completed the jobs yet. I also feel that he has been married before and has 2 kids, which is something that I don't really want to get involved with. I am single, have never been married, and don't have any kids. I feel that in a relationship, I want the same things. He is a very kind person, and offers to do other things on my house for free. I don't want to take advantage of him, but I also know he needs the money to support his child here (1 is back in Brazil). How can I tell him that I am not interested in that way, and want to keep our relationship professional without hurting his feelings?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 6 years ago.

Good Morning,

The best way to address this is to be straight forward. If you have not given him any indication that you are interested in him romantically, then keep it civil and professional.

It is not unusual for foreigners to at times have ulterior motives for connecting with an American- citizenship is one major issue.

Insist that he completes the work (give him a time frame and let him know that you would have to hire another worker if he is not able to finish it)

You should not have to inconvenience yourself. You hired a worker to do work on your home and that is what you;re paying for. Try not to share a whole lot of personal info with him or personal time.