Jennifer, School Psychologist
Experience:  Extensive experience fostering family relationships through consultation / counseling.

Hi I have met a girl she is 44 and i am 26. Should we feel

Customer Question

Hi I have met a girl she is 44 and i am 26. Should we feel ashamed that we have feelings for each other. We are both really open minded free spriited people, and our parents accept that we are dating, we may date longer we have been dating for 6 months and even get married who nos only the future nos that. We are taking things one step at a time. She is fun looks younger is evry young at heart, some call her a cougar she is 1 she has had younger boyfriends in the past to. Just occasionaly we get embaressed telling people we meet at parties. Is it normal to feel embarrased about things such as this, she lieks younger men and I like older woman as well as woman my own age. Many people date younger older but there is still this society taboo in many social circles but not ours which is good
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Jennifer replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using!

I'd say it's perfectly normal to feel somewhat embarrassed in some social settings -- as you've noticed, not all social circles may be as accepting of couples with large age gaps as your close friends and family may be. However, if you're happy with this person and are aware of what this age difference might be like for you in the future (10 - 20 years down the road), then I'd say it's perfectly fine to pursue a long-term relationship with this woman. I'm glad to hear your families and friends support this relationship -- That's important and wonderful to know the people you care about understand you and what makes you happy in life. I wish you the best of luck!