Angela, Counselor
Experience:  n/a

I have been married for 10 years - we have argued for most

Customer Question

I have been married for 10 years - we have argued for most of it. We have issues from raising the kids ( my 16 yo from a previous relationship and our 9 year old); to his mother to his early partying days to anything in between. I am tired and exhausted and feel like calling it quits. We can't have any conversation that gets too difficult without running and the rug is pile too high with the things swept under it
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Angela replied 6 years ago.
Hello my name is Angela.
I am more than happy to assist you with your questions by giving you my honest and respectful opinion.

Based on what you have written, I suggest sitting down with him and having an honest conversation about your marriage. Ask him what is it that he wants from your marriage and discuss what you want from your marriage and discuss ways to achieve your goals. For example, if you both state that you want to stay married and to have a happier marriage, then a goal would be to return to marriage counseling and to stick it out until your marriage improves. If he doesn't want to return to marriage counseling, then he needs to provide an alternative that you both feel would work and make a positive difference in your marriage.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
But I already know that conversation will not get to the truth. Allow me to explain more, we have had a few instances of I am afraid to bring up anything too difficult and to say I'm angry over the dv against me and my kids and he pretends it never happened. I want to have a happy marriage just don't know how.
Expert:  Angela replied 6 years ago.
I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX fears and concerns, however, the only chance of things possibly improving is to be honest with one another and to discuss your situation and decide what you will do from there along with considering the previous options I suggested. Without doing this your situation will remain the same- unfulfilled and unhappy. Change must occur because it takes two to make a relationship work.