Angela
Angela, Counselor
Experience:  n/a
25365872

My mother-in-law has been living with us now for 7 years. We

My mother-in-law has been living with us now for 7 years. We got married and bought a house 2 years ago and have a baby on the way. She has never brought up that she has any attention on moving out. She is 56 years old and makes more than $50,000 a year with no disabilities. My wife and I are fighting constantly about her moving out, my wife on the other hand enjoys her living with us but I can not take it anymore....please help
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Angela replied 6 years ago.
Hello my name is Angela.
I am more than happy to assist you with your questions by giving you my honest and respectful opinion.

Your concerns are valid and understandable. I suggest talking to your wife once again about this issue in the following manner: Schedule a time to go out with your wife so that the two of you can be alone and talk, for example, maybe go to a romantic restaurant. During this time discuss the situation with your wife about your mother in law and ensure that she understands that you want to discuss the issue (-not argue over it) in order for both of you to decide on compromises that you both can feel good about. Prior to scheduling a time with your wife, draft a list of possible solutions to this problem and review them so that when you go out with your wife you will have ideas to start with (-don't take the list when you go out with your wife, destroy it first in order to keep the peace). For example, the first solution on the top of your list would probably be to have her move out now which is completely understandable. However, also draft additional solutions since your wife will probably not go for this. Another example could be having her move out within a certain time frame and etc. It takes two to make a marriage work and right now you really need your wife on board with you mentally and emotionally in order for you both to come up with a compromise that you both can feel good about and so that your marriage no loner suffers from this.