Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.

My boyfriend told me yesterday he did not buy a ticket for

My boyfriend told me yesterday he did not buy a ticket for me to a retirement dinner.He is going with a married women friend.Her husband is too shy to take her.I reacted and called him a idiot,and her an idiot.I could not get through to him that this lady is married,and that no man is that shy.
I am so disappointed in his behavior.The respect I had for him has spiraled down.It integrity in my eyes has disappeared.I had such high hopes for this person and myself.
I am not angry just numb and so disappointed that i feel deflated.

Good Afternoon,

You have the right to feel disappointed. This was right out inconsiderate on his part. Even though he has a history of hurting others, he is your boyfriend, the woman is married and that even is not the issue. The issue here is that he disregarded how you would feel when he acted this way. On top of it, after you confronted him, he still behaves like there is nothing wrong (based on the fact that he is still going with her to the dinner)

If you do not feel that there is much hope for a change on his part, perhaps reconsider the relationship. It takes two to make things work out (you can not be the only one doing all the work)

This is a great book suggestion that can shed some light onto this sort of behavior-

Emotional Unavailability : Recognizing It, Understanding It, and Avoiding Its Trap by Bryn C. Collins (Paperback)

Edited by Dr Rossi on 6/11/2010 at 6:39 PM EST