Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.

I recently quit my job because of the stress it was causing

I recently quit my job because of the stress it was causing on the family. My husband owns his own family business and is extremely stressed out. My kids are home from college and they don't even want to be home because they say there is to much stress. I want to be able to support my husband and help him feel less stressed. He is not a talker and doesn't work with me on thinking of idea's. He bottles everything up inside. How can I try to help him?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 6 years ago.

Good Evening,

It seems that you have already done quite a lot- offering to listen, give him feedback, do house work, etc.

If you believe that there may be something that you could assist him in his business ex book keeping, interviewing, administrative duties, etc. see if he would be willing to give you some responsibilities. It sounds like he brings the stress from work to the home. IF he is active any physical work out/exercise would be helpful to reduce some of that as well as meditation, doing things as a couple even if it is taking walks in the neighborhood. Sometimes doing things versus talking may offer a different outlet to solving an issue. See if there things you can do to reconnect emotionally with him (whatever had worked in the past, be spontaneous and patient.)

Edited by Dr Rossi on 6/10/2010 at 1:55 AM EST