Angela, Counselor
Experience:  n/a

hi i have been seeing a guy for the past 8 months we generally

Customer Question

i have been seeing a guy for the past 8 months we generally meet every 2 weeks as we live in differant countrys he was previously engaged for 6 years and has been single for the last 3 years. I have shown him on a number of occasions how I feel about him but he is scared of any kind of commitment due to the fact that he got really hurt from his previous relationship he tells me that he cares about me but there is where it stops. When we are away from each other I am always the one that phones him or sends him a msg first he never does.
A few weeks back whilst I was in his country he took me over to his grandmothers house where quite a number of his relatives where and when they asked him if i was his girlfriend his reply is always that i am his friend, yet he really likes it that all his relatives really like me to the point that when i go over again they want me to go and stay with them instead of a hotel.
PS he is 33 and I am 18
should i leave him or give him his time?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Angela replied 6 years ago.
Hello my name is Angela.
I am more than happy to assist you with your questions by giving you my honest and respectful opinion.

Since you have 8 months invested in him and he is still not showing 100% commitment that you have been showing him and he will not commit to being your boyfriend, I think you could keep the platonic friendship with him if you choose, but you should definitely date other men who are of interest to you. Also, I would recommend responding to him after he responds to you. For example, let him initiate contact with you and then you respond to him.