Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.

my dad said he has nothing to talk to me about and he is not

my dad said he has nothing to talk to me about and he is not interested in what i have to say and i am wondering if you have any idea of some coping skills i could use to handle this?
thank you

Good Afternoon,

Being ignored or feeling a rejection by your father is difficult. You would be able to cope better if you acknowledge that his is how he is (it does not have to do anything with what you did or did not do) He is another person with flaws and he may not be even to connect emotionally with you instead of not wanting to do so. Perhaps talking is a way of connecting and he does not know how to do it (maybe he never learned himself)

Your sense of self worth has to come from within (to know that you are worthy and able to move on despite his avoidance or coldness towards you) You could also write down how you feel and share it with him (but without the expectation that he will have an awakening and then change his behavior. This is just to let you unload some of those feelings.)

Biblipliotherapy suggestion-

Emotional Unavailability : Recognizing It, Understanding It, and Avoiding Its Trap by Bryn C. Collins