Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.

My boyfriend and I live together. Currently, he is not working

Customer Question

My boyfriend and I live together. Currently, he is not working and because his mom is paying his storge fee. He feels obligated to run over there every time she yells to fix things in her house. I dont mind him helping her out, but since he can not drive becuse of his outstanding ticket I am the one responsible to bring him there. What can I do about this problem? I feel like he is in a relationship with his mom instead of me sometimes.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 6 years ago.

Good Evening,

The best thing to do is not to allow for them to take advantage of your availability and helpfulness. It does not sound that he is self sufficient and the fact that he feels obligated to help her, will remain to go on and on in a circle. Someone has to break the pattern

Talk to him first and then if you have to, talk to her and let her know of your position in this. It is ok to help but not healthy for him to overcompensate because she's financially assisting him. She is enabling him to continue with his behavior and his sense of obligation to her leads to co-dependence.