Angela, Counselor
Experience:  n/a

I was wondering if eight months of continuous on and off arguing

I was wondering if eight months of continuous on and off arguing with a loved one over money and jobs would cause me to have adjustment disorder? Here is what is going on currently, even when we are not arguing and trying to have a conversation over our issues, my mind automatically goes defensive and for some reason I can not communicate normally like I used to with others before the earlier fighting. I tend to start talking louder which sometimes leads to yelling or gritting of my teeth when my boyfriend is just calmly trying to point out something this time around. Before it was on both our ends we would both blow up. Lately, I have started to realize he is changing for the better and talking and communicating for him has improved. With me he trys to bring up something about me that is bothering him something minor even, and I tend to do what I said above. I caught myself at this earlier today and I had to walk away before I started something that was not there to start with.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Angela replied 6 years ago.
Hello my name is Angela.
I am more than happy to assist you with your questions by giving you my honest and respectful opinion.

Yes it is possible that arguing (-over anything) could lead you to have an adjustment disorder because constantly being exposed to any type of a stressor could cause you to have the type of psychological response to the stressor which makes you change your behavior such as with an adjustment disorder. If it is possible, and you think that you may have an adjustment disorder, it would be best to see a therapist to identify if you actually have an adjustment disorder and to help you work through the issues which are causing you stress and to change your behavior in ways that are not healthy.