Angela, Counselor
Experience:  n/a

my husband and I have been seeing a marriage counselor for

my husband and I have been seeing a marriage counselor for almost 3 months. I am giving great efforts to keep up the changes he wanted me to do. However, he has not. The last homework our counselor gave us was to write a "love story" together. How we want our marriage to be. I have asked him twice since then and he just blows it off. The last comment today was just write something. I GIVE UP!! We see her on Friday and he has not made any effort to "win my heart" over. Am I just fooling myself? I love him dearly and want to grow old together. We have been married less than 4 years and it seems like we have been married 100 years.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Angela replied 6 years ago.
Hello my name is Angela.
I am more than happy to assist you with your questions by giving you my honest and respectful opinion.

I am sorry for this tough time you are having. You are not fooling yourself if your husband decides to actually do his part to make the marriage work. Therefore, when you go to see the counselor on Friday, if he still has not done his homework, I recommend asking your husband what does he want from your marriage? Ask him does he want your marriage to be more fulfilling and happy for both of you? Discuss these important questions in front of the therapist so that she can help bridge any gaps with him communicating to you and vice versa. If he says he wants the marriage to work and to be more fulfilling, then ask him why he does not do his homework which would help achieve this end result? Hopefully, during your session on Friday you will be able to get to the bottom of his complacent behavior and to the barriers which are holding him back from doing his part in saving your marriage.