Angela, Counselor
Experience:  n/a

can the death of a loved one affect a relationship

Customer Question

can the death of a loved one affect a relationship?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Angela replied 6 years ago.
Hello my name is Angela.
I am more than happy to assist you with your questions by giving you my honest and respectful opinion.

Yes without question the death of a loved one can affect a relationship and usually does affect it as the person will go through grieving the loss of the loved one and typically will experience many different emotions such as anger, depression, denial, and etc.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i ask this because after my mother passed last year alot has changed between me and my boyfriend. i've been angry alot...we argue over the smallest things and sometimes i feel bad about it because it feels as if im picking on him.
Expert:  Angela replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry for the loss of your mother. It sounds as if you are still grieving the loss of your mother which is completely normal. As you continue to grieve, you will need to go through the stages of grief to help you deal with this tragedy; anger is one of the stages of grief that we all experience when a loved one dies. Click here to read more about the stages of grief. Also, as you go through the stages of grief, if it is an option, a counselor who specializes in grief therapy would typically be able to help you further deal with your grief. If this is not an option, you could use a book as an aide in dealing with your grief; click here for the book I recommend to my clients dealing with grief.