Dr.G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota

a few weeks back my partner of 8 months sent me a txt telling

a few weeks back my partner of 8 months sent me a txt telling me for the first time that he loves me. It was following a not so good weekend. I told him that if he truly loved me it would come easy for him to say it face to face. He is not a good communicator and says he finds it very hard saying it in person. His family have never been close and do not use the term. They are not affectionate with each other witch is a contrast to the way I have been raised. I am used to knowing where I stand with someone until now. My insecurity about how he feels makes him feel like he has to continuously prove himself to me. I can't help but feel unloved, I feel like I have no connection with him. How can I chnage this and most importantly can he change?
You know getting into a relationship in the hopes of the other person changing is not a good sign. I have seen this scenario play out many times where the man does not express himself and the woman needs more from him. Unfortunately, I rarely see the man becoming the person the woman needs him to be. If you have a lot of time on your hands and want to put in the work to get him to make some changes then go ahead. My feeling on this is that the two of you just aren't compatible. You need him to do things that he just can't do. And that is ok. That just means you keep dating until you find the person you are compatible with. I think you made the right choice by breaking up instead of getting heavily involved in a dead end relationship.