Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.

My boyfriend and I are in a long distance relationship and

My boyfriend and I are in a long distance relationship and have been for about three months. His ex and him have been separated from each other for almost a year and are
going through divorce proceedings. I used to work with my present boyfriend and have
maintained contact with him since leaving the job and area where he still works. I live
in a large city about four hours away from him and it turns out this is where his ex decided
to move with the children. The problem is he usually comes down and stays at my place
with his children and we do not seem to get much me & him time. He is a super nice
guy and has many great qualities that someone would want in a partner but I am finding
myself feeling like I want to distance myself from him and take a break from the relationship. He has mentioned he is still getting over is ex and I myself am going through
a divorce, looking for employment and have children of my own to deal and take care of.
I cannot understand why I am feeling this way and I am wondering if I am just afraid of
commitment.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 4 years ago.

Good Morning,

You may be feeling this way for various reasons. You've mentioned fear of commitment; other may be- you have become to feel stagnant in this relationship, your expectations may have changed now that you know him better, you do not want to be someone's step mother, trust issues, you may be stressed out about- finances, employment, etc.

Try to jot down an inventory of possibilities and then meditate over each of the possibilities. Your intuition is trying to show you something (whether it is about you, him or the relationship itself)

Taking some time off of the relationship is not a bad idea (if you believe that it would be helpful to both of you. Hopefully he understands your needs)

Edited by Dr Rossi on 6/1/2010 at 11:24 AM EST
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience: Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.