Angela
Angela, Counselor
Experience:  n/a
25365872

Our daughter, age 25, has left her husband of 2 1/2 years.

Our daughter, age 25, has left her husband of 2 1/2 years. They dated for 4 years before marrying, she says he is smothering her and wants to be with her all the time, calls her at work many times a day. He has talked to us and says she wants to go out with her girlfriends 3 or 4 times a week. He says he doesn't mind a couple times a month, they could both go out with their friends but not as much as she wants. They have no children right now, which is a blessing.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Angela replied 6 years ago.
Hello my name is Angela.
I am more than happy to assist you with your questions by giving you my honest and respectful opinion.

I understand what you have written, what question may I answer for you?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My question for you is, should we insist that she go back so both of them can work harder on their marriage, or should we allow her to stay with us?
Expert:  Angela replied 6 years ago.
Yes I think you should insist that she go back and work on her marriage but before you do it would be good to sit down with her and share with her why you are doing that. Obviously, she feels extremely safe with both of you which is why she felt that it was okay to come back home, however, she must realize that as an adult in a marriage, she needs to stay in her own home and talk to her husband and work this out (-unless of course the situation was different than it is and she was in danger, which is not the case). They should both talk the issues out and agree to compromises that they can both feel good about. If they feel they need to take some space from each other while they are in their home, that's okay because they are still living together under the same roof and certainly they are entitled to take some time to cool off from each other and then resume discussion about their issues.