Jennifer
Jennifer, School Psychologist
Experience:  Extensive experience fostering family relationships through consultation / counseling.
30853534

My husband and I got into a very heated and public fight last

My husband and I got into a very heated and public fight last night. I felt as thought I had to stand up for myself so I didn't back down but now I'm very embarrassed that others saw the fight. I also feel really hurt that he escalated that disagreement in order to impress his friends / look more masculine.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Jennifer replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Justanswer.com!

I'd suggest you talk with him about how this made you feel. Ask how he felt as well (both during and after the argument). Perhaps the two of you can come up with a plan for how to handle situations like this in the future -- e.g., having a rule about fighting in public or a key word (pre-determined) that means, "I love you, but I want to talk about this later... in private."

It may help you to feel better if the two of you return to where you were last night (if possible) to do the evening over. Of course, the witnesses to your quiet, agreeable night will likely be different, but it may bring some closure to an event that made you feel this way.