Angela
Angela, Counselor
Experience:  n/a
25365872

Have attempted to re-kindle relationship w/ex girlfriend.

Customer Question

Have attempted to re-kindle relationship w/ex girlfriend. She has moved on supposedly, but still calls to meet late at night for a drink, or texts to see what I'm doing/where I'm at.
She purportes that she wants to be "friends"....but, I am confused/concerned that the late night calls, meetings, chats are just a way to keep me "around"...while she's dating others.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Angela replied 6 years ago.
Hello my name is Angela.
I am more than happy to assist you with your questions by giving you my honest and respectful opinion.

I would recommend first deciding if you are comfortable with just being friends with her. If you are comfortable with just being friends with her, then you could enjoy the friendship with her on a platonic level. If you are not comfortable with being platonic friends with her, then you should tell her this. Since she stated that she wants to be friends and that her actions don't mean anything more, then I would suggest believing her. However, you could set boundaries in your platonic friendship. For example, if you don't want her to call you late at night then tell her and let her know this. Another example, if you don't want her to discuss with you the guys that she is dating, then tell her this. Setting boundaries would keep your platonic friendship comfortable for both of you.