Angela
Angela, Counselor
Experience:  n/a
25365872

For Angela ..... children,my daughter is upset and refuses

I have two adult children,my daughter is upset and refuses to talk to me. I made a remark about my grandaughter being too thin and maybe some ensure would help. She got upset hung up on me saying she was not going to make her daughter feel bad about her physical appearance, now she won't speak or answer the phone when I call.

I have a son that I have helped over the years a lot more than her.

We put her through college, and she seems to be doing just fine finiancially etc. My son has a heart condition, has A.D.D. So he seems to be a needy person often. I am thinking she is mad because of this (finiancial and our attention we give when he has illness problems) instead of the thin remark. She has told me recently we should stop helping him so much
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Angela replied 6 years ago.
Hello my name is Angela.
I am more than happy to assist you with your questions by giving you my honest and respectful opinion.

Based on what you have written, I think your daughter is choosing to take some time before she begins to speak to you again. When she is ready to speak to you again, I would recommend having a face to face conversation with her (-if this is not possible, then over the phone would do) and ask her to share with you why your remark offended her so much. Starting a college fund for her kids is fine, but she still needs to share with you why she became so angry (-even if her anger is really due to the financial help and attention you give to your son) so that the two of you can discuss it and work through it. I would give her more time because you have already apologized and when she is ready she will reach out to you.