Angela, Counselor
Experience:  n/a

My husband has a male friend of 5 or so years who has lied

Customer Question

My husband has a male friend of 5 or so years who has lied and insulted me recently after I sent a short email to his wife questioning... maybe criticizing the way she ran her gym that my 14 yr old daughter belonged to. My daughter was unhappy there and quit. This man went so far as to say my daughter was a "spoiled brat with a negative attitude who their gym was better off without" to a group of her peers, upsetting her terribly. My husband continues to maintain a business/personal relationship with him even having lunch with him recently. My husband has many other contacts who provide the same service as this man. I feel my husband continues to value his relationship with this man over his relationship with me in a rude and verbally hurtful way. He says I am wrong. He says he will continue his friendship with this man and just won't tell me.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Angela replied 6 years ago.
Hello my name is Angela.
I am more than happy to assist you with your questions by giving you my honest and respectful opinion.

Due to your husband insisting on keeping the friendship, I think it would be best if the two of you sat down and discussed a compromise that you can both feel good about since he will not sever the friendship. For example, the disrespectful things the friend said about your daughter, this is something your husband and you can speak to his friend about in order to at least bring closure to this particular incident. Another example of a compromise would include the friend understanding that he is to stay away from you and your daughter. These are just two examples of possible ways that you and your husband can compromise since he will not sever the friendship. The two of you need to set boundaries pertaining to his friend and your husband needs to respect and abide by the boundaries you both agree to pertaining to his friend.