Angela
Angela, Counselor
Experience:  n/a
25365872

i am from lithuania, ive been married to an american for 8

Customer Question

i am from lithuania, i've been married to an american for 8 years, have a green card. last weekend we got into drunken argument and i got arrested for cdv. we are trying to work things out. however, i just found out my father in law is trying to get my husband to take our baby and come to his state to get some perspective on things. we wants us to get divorced. i worry that my husband might do that and i am scared that i will lose my child. please help.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Angela replied 6 years ago.
Hello my name is Angela.
I am more than happy to assist you with your questions by giving you my honest and respectful opinion.

The best thing to do is to sit down and talk to your husband. Talk to him when the two of you will be able to do so and will not be disturbed. In your own words, tell him that you are sorry for what has happened, especially for getting arrested. Tell him that you really want to work things out and that you do not want to loose him. Ask him what can be done to work things out and discuss this with him. For example, does he want you both to go to counseling? Discuss together what options you can both take to save your marriage and agree on compromises that you can both feel good about. This type of conversation works best when the two of you will be undisturbed and have time to really talk. For example, maybe you can schedule a time for the two of you to go to the park for a nice picnic and talk.