Angela, Counselor
Experience:  n/a

My new boyfriend is just not a dog person. I just bought a

My new boyfriend is just not a dog person. I just bought a yorkie for $800 and she is about 5 mos old and still needs training as she is left at home most of the time. He doesn't want to kiss me after the dog has licked my face. It's an ocd thing, I think. Please help me. I wan to keep the dog and the boyfriend. Feeling helpless.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Angela replied 6 years ago.
Hello my name is Angela.
I am more than happy to assist you with your questions by giving you my honest and respectful opinion.

Yes dogs can be a lot of work and not everyone is a dog person. I have 5 dogs of my own. I think the best thing is to ask your boyfriend how the two of you can compromise about the issues that bother either of you pertaining to the dog. For example, you wrote "He doesn't want to kiss me after the dog has licked my face", maybe a compromise that you can both make would include either having him kiss you before the dogs licks your face or maybe wiping your face off with a mild cleaner after the dogs licks you. The above is just an example of the types of things you can both discuss pertaining to the dog and agree on compromises that you both feel good about. Also, be sure to ask him what would help him to become more of a dog person? Discuss his answers and decide on options that you are both comfortable with. House training a dog does take some time and a puppy cannot control his bodily functions as well. I would recommend buying her a crate to facilitate house training her and leave her in the crate when you are not going to be at home. Click here for an article to help you with house training.