Angela, Counselor
Experience:  n/a

What are the chances of a relationship of 2 adults over 55

What are the chances of a relationship of 2 adults over 55 years old lasting together if they move in together? They both had previous marriages and have a relationship for 2 1/2 years now with no problems.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Angela replied 6 years ago.
Hello my name is Angela.
I am more than happy to assist you with your questions by giving you my honest and respectful opinion.

The chances of your relationship lasting is the same as any relationship regardless of age. This means that with any relationship, regardless of age, that if you choose to live together there will be an adjustment period which you would both naturally go through due to living under the same roof continuously. Things are different when two people live apart and have their own homes, however, when two people unite under one roof, it is only natural that certain quirks about one another may annoy the other person. For example, one person may be sloppy and the other person a neat freak and etc. These types of things will only truly show themselves once you are both living under the same roof and are quite natural and normal. I think you and your friend should talk about the possibility of you making this huge move to live with him and see what you both think about it. For example, discuss how he would feel having you live with him under the same roof and vice versa concerning how you would feel living with him. He mentioned he was afraid things would not work out, ask him for specifics concerning what he is afraid of and both of you discuss it and give each other feedback. At the end of your conversation, hopefully, both of you would have a better idea concerning whether or not you should move in with him and live in Florida. There are no guarantees for any relationship, regardless of age, to succeed or to fail, with this in mind you can both try it and agree to work at it so that your relationship will succeed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you very much. Could you just tell me or where I can find out about what type of questions and discussions we should have? What type of problems we may have to work out?

I'd appreciate it. Also, since I am in NJ and he is in FL, should I go to FL to talk face to face or it could be done on the phone?

Expert:  Angela replied 6 years ago.
I think this conversation could be done over the phone if necessary. If you have the funds to comfortably travel to and from Florida to discuss this, I think that would be even better because as the two of you discuss the possibility of living together you would be able to see how you each react to the issues you each raise throughout your discussion. Also, you could tour the house and check out the neighborhood to further help you decide if you want to live there. Some of the basic things you should discuss include: how will the bills be paid for and what portion will you have to pay? For example, will you each pay half of the utilities? Will you each pay half of the telephone bill or will you each have a separate phone line? Also, click here for additional things to consider and discuss.