Jennifer, School Psychologist
Experience:  Extensive experience fostering family relationships through consultation / counseling.

I am trying to figure out how to get the ex out of my mind.

I am trying to figure out how to get the ex out of my mind. I have realized that at any wrong thing i say she bolts. I brought up that I may move and she said where the hell are you going. This girl in a nice word messed up. She gets me crazy now. I dont even really care anymore. Obviously if I am dating other girls she can't mean that much. She tells me she is the best thing that will ever happen to me. No girl will ever love me like she did. I find that hard to believe because I didnt feel really any. And btw her pattern is every othe week is good. This is def not a good relationship. I have to move on. Any ideas. thanks
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Jennifer replied 6 years ago.
Hello there!

If you're truly wanting to move on I'd suggest you spend some time opening a new chapter in your life. This means spending some time on YOU for a while... Whether by revisiting an old hobby you've neglected for years or starting something new (volunteer work, community class, sports league, recreational club, music lessons, ANYTHING that adds to your character and keeps you busy). This new activity will help you grow and devote some time to just being you for a while.

Not only will those activities help you to feel like a different person than the one she knows, but you may even meet new people (women?) who may have more to offer you when you're feeling ready for a relationship again.

I do think you have difficulty leaving this relationship. You seem to recognize how unhealthy it is, but then get drawn back in by the intensity of it. If you really want it to be over, you'll need to spend some time without contact. The phone calls, texts, and e-mails may seem like they're just a nice way to stay connected to someone you care about deeply, but bear in mind that you won't be able to move on as long as you're still in such frequent contact.