Jennifer, School Psychologist
Experience:  Extensive experience fostering family relationships through consultation / counseling.

My wife is going on a time honored fishing trip with her boss

Customer Question

My wife is going on a time honored fishing trip with her boss and coworkers for the weekend on a 55 foot boat in Miami. She will be spending the night on the boat with her boss (male) and another girl from work. I trust her completely and am not worried about anything happening, so to say. I told her I just wish the trip was not on the weekend. It's basically a vacation with her boss and coworkers. She doesn't have to go for job security or anything like that. It just bothers me that she would rather do that than spend the weekend with me. We have been on many vacations in the past 5 years including Europe and the carribean many times so not having a vacation for her is not an issue. I feel I am being selfish but I can't stop this feeling.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Jennifer replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using!

It may help to look at this as a work retreat. This is an opportunity for her co-workers to bond through a new experience together. She'd be missing that if she stayed home. I'm sure she enjoys spending time with you and this isn't about picking one thing over another. In fact, spending the weekend away may even help you both to appreciate your time together more after spending a few days apart.

Try to plan some activities for yourself this weekend. Maybe a guys' night? Or rent a movie she wouldn't typically be interested in seeing? Give yourself something to look forward to and it may help you to enjoy the weekend. That way you'll both have stories to share upon her return.