Angela, Counselor
Experience:  n/a

My daughter is in a relationship in which her partner constantly

My daughter is in a relationship in which her partner constantly picks petty arguments. He keeps going on and on and will not let a subject drop. He can also be verbally abusive. He is never wrong and has a do as I say not as I do attitude. Is this a form of harrassment. She would like to end the relationship but they have a child together (age 2) and she is worried that he would treat his child in the same manner in the future.
I am sorry for this difficult time that you and your daughter are having. Yes what the husband is doing is also a form of harassment. I worked as a domestic violence crisis counselor; what you described is a red flag for me, therefore, if at anytime your daughter's situation becomes dangerous she can always get in touch with a domestic violence crisis counselor and possibly go to a shelter. I hope this is not ever the case, but please just keep this in the back of your mind. Domestic violence is not just physical it also includes financial, mental, and emotional controlling and abuse. Just in case your daughter wants to call for information, here is the phone number for the National Domestic Violence Hotline:

1−800−799−SAFE(7233) and they can give her the local phone number for the shelter in her area. If she calls have her do so when he is not at home and then erase the number from her phone, caller id, and from her redial button. Also, your daughter can call the phone number and speak to a crisis counselor and explain about the verbal abuse and having a previous incident of self harm which his verbal abuse contributed to and get more information about her options. She can also ask to speak to a legal advocate about her child custody concerns and possible options. Have her also inquire about support groups which she may be able to attend.