Angela
Angela, Counselor
Experience:  n/a
25365872

Im six months into my marriage and we barely have sex anymore

I'm six months into my marriage and we barely have sex anymore - about 2-3 times a month. He works long hours and sometimes gets called in at night (he's a physician) - and one of us is usually too tired or stressed to initiate. Should I be worried? Is this normal? What should I do to re-ignite the passion?
Based on what you have written it sounds like work is dominating your sex lives which is understandable given the long hours and on call hours that you husband works, however, I would not be worried. It is normal when one of you are too tired or stressed not to initiate having sex for these reasons. What I would suggest is for both of you to sit down and look at your work schedules together and try to see what is the best night ahead of time to stay in and be intimate. Often in relationships with busy schedules, date nights don't always work because of the time involved with going out on the date with the hope of coming back home and being intimate- if either of you is already too tired or stressed, this would make for a long night. So I recommend trying to decide ahead of time based upon both of your schedules, which night the two of you will be intimate without going out of the house. Maybe you could have dinner and then be intimate right afterwards before either of you get too tired (-discuss it together and see what you both agree to try and give it a try). Once your work schedules ease up a bit you could resume trying to have date nights outside of the house.