Dr.G.
Dr.G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota
15682972

My 25-year-old nephew sent me an e-mail about a month ago ranting

My 25-year-old nephew sent me an e-mail about a month ago ranting in disrespectful language about how our family is falling apart. While we live in different states and don't see each other as much as all of us would like, this is hardly the case. I have always treated both my nephew and niece with respect and kindness. I've also been as generous to them as my circumstances have allowed and whenever I've not been able to see them, it's always been with good reasons that I take the time to explain to them. Birthdays, Christmas, whenever he's phoned, I've given him gifts and spent hours with him on the phone whenever he's felt troubled or needed advice. Now I've learned that he's on Facebook, tearing down his family in vulgar terms saying that aside from the people in his home, "the rest of the family can ALL GO THE F**K TO HELL!" I have no idea how to handle this since my sister only defends his behavior as she did regarding his e-mail to me. I really need advice!
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr.G. replied 4 years ago.
Rest assured that you did everything you could. Now you just need to ignore it. If you know what he is saying is not true then don't take it personally. You tried talking to him but something has him acting irrationally. Don't stoop to his level and definitely don't feed into what he says. The best thing to do is act as normal until he talks to you then you can question his actions. But until then just go about your business and don't let it get to you. He is only making an ass of himself.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That's what my husband said. It's just that if my family saw what he was saying about our family, even using our family's last name on Facebook, they wouldn't be too happy about it. It's just one of the reasons why it's been so hard to ignore.
Expert:  Dr.G. replied 4 years ago.
Well they can choose to get mad or they can choose to ignore it. If it does not reflect the truth then don't feed into it. You can't control what he writes; especially if he makes things up.
Dr.G., Psychologist
Experience: Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota