Anna, Social Worker
Experience:  29 years experience in addictions & mental health. I'll tell you my honest opinion.

I am gay and have been with my girlfriend for 5 years. I think

Customer Question

I am gay and have been with my girlfriend for 5 years. I think my relationship is falling apart, well, I know it is. I love her really very much but we are both making each other miserable & fighting all the time. I am getting tired & thinking about ending it. About a year ago my girlfriend kissed a very close friend of ours. This was something I found quite hard to get over. We are very honest with each other & the betrayal of trust was the biggest issue for me. Around the same time maybe a few weeks before this we were starting to argue a bit more, my girlfriend did not want to have sex as much as before, we used to have a very healthy sex life & since then it has practically disappeared resulting in me feeling embarrassed, ashamed & undesired, I have asked her about it & she says I am putting pressure on her to have sex. But I don't understand what has changed. I now feel as if we are essentially friends, I love her and i want her, but I want more. I don't know what to do.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.

Hey Emmy,

This sounds like the relationship was ending a year ago, but that you two have hung together for the grief & loss part of it. It's time to let it go now. Women will often do this: end the relationship about a year before they stop dating the other person. It helps to not be alone while you're getting over the loss of the hopes & dreams. I suggest a parting of the ways so that you can honor the good times that you had, and leave with grace and dignity.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.