Angela
Angela, Counselor
Experience:  n/a
25365872

Ive gone on a few dates with a foreign exchange student girl

I've gone on a few dates with a foreign exchange student girl that interns at where i work. However i feel like there has been no progress for us. I know that she has a busy life as she has to wake up early for classes plus she is interning full time and she also joins many activities after work. Her english isn't that good either so we have a hard time communicating sometimes. All our dates have energetic and fun. I realize that she has to go back to her country at the end of the year and this could possibly be temporary but i really am interested in this girl and want to take it to the next level. We have hugged, but we don't hold hands and i havent kissed her yet. She also rarely responds to text messages i send her. She tells me many things like she wants to cook for me sometimes and wants me over but i also yet to go to her place. Her behavior is very different everyday and its hard to judge. How can i try to take this to another level without scaring her away.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Angela replied 4 years ago.
Hello L,
Based on what you have written, I would recommend sitting down with her when the two of you will be undisturbed and share your feelings with her. Also, the reason she may not have responded to your text messages could be due to the language barrier. Also, she may not have invited you over to her house yet for the same reason as well as their could also be a cultural difference concerning the appropriate way and circumstances in which she would invite someone to her house for dinner. This is also why I recommend sitting down with her and telling her how you feel about her and ask her how does she feel about you. This way you would not have to try and figure things out or guess at the meaning of her behaviors. Prepare ahead of time for what you would like to share with her and then schedule a time to talk to her in a comfortable setting that would afford you privacy to do so (- for example such as at a park). Also, when you share your feelings with her, explain to her what taking it to the next level would mean and see how she feels about it. Since it is still early in the relationship do not discuss marriage or etc. unless she brings it up or else you could scare her away.
Angela, Counselor
Experience: n/a