Jennifer
Jennifer, School Psychologist
Experience:  Extensive experience fostering family relationships through consultation / counseling.
30853534

how do I look forward with hope and stop being angry about

how do I look forward with hope and stop being angry about not having what I used to have, (meaning financially and everything else, & joie d'vie?) I feel like I have nothing.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Jennifer replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Justanswer.com!

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling this way. I have a few suggestions, but I'm most concerned about you having a support system in place. Do you have friends / family you can contact when you need to talk? Don't be afraid to ask for help. Sometimes it's difficult to see when we're sliding into symptoms of depression. There is also a 24-hr crisis hotline available at 800-448-3000 (assuming you're in the U.S.) Having worked as a crisis hotline operator for several years, I know for a fact that often callers just need someone to talk to.

That hotline can also get you connected with resources in your community such as counseling. I'd highly recommend individual counseling to help you feel better about yourself. It's a safe place to share your feelings, explore what your goals are and receive guidance in how to get there.

In the meantime, try stating a journal. Write down things you're good at and all of your positive attributes. Re-read whenever you're feeling down about yourself. You may also look into getting involved in a new activity of some kind (sports / club / volunteer work / classes) for the sake of seeing yourself in a new light, learning something new, meeting new people and adding new experiences to your life. Sometimes a new interest can make your days much brighter. I wish you the best of luck!