Angela, Counselor
Experience:  n/a

My boyfriend broke off our relationship the day after we returned

My boyfriend broke off our relationship the day after we returned from a cruise. He stood me up for church the next morning, and I never saw him again. We had been together for 8 months, and things were good. They were heading in a direction that he wanted, which was marriage. I was receptive to what he wanted and loved him very much. We never said that we loved each other, but we talked extensively and intensely about the future. Then, he just walked away. It has been 4 months, and he has brought me over 2 paintings that he painted for me as gifts. He leaves them on the doorstep. One occasion was Christmas and the other was my birthday. He will not answer any email or phone calls from me, and yet, he is bringing me gifts. I do not call him or email him, but did when he first left. I didn't realize for a time that he had left.

My question is...why in the world would he bring me gifts at this point? He walked away. He broke off, and yet, he seems to be hanging on. What do you think?
Hello Dixie,
Based on what you have written, it sounds as if your boyfriend changed his mind about your relationship but didn't have the courage to actually sit down and talk to you about this. As a result, it seems as if the gifts are a way to make him feel better about how he ended things with you as well as to let you know that he still thinks about you on a platonic level.