Angela
Angela, Counselor
Experience:  n/a
25365872

So I just started a temporary job about a month ago. Im in

So I just started a temporary job about a month ago. I'm in the process of looking for another job so i'm not sure how much longer i'm going to be working there. A co-worker likes me and has been trying to get me to hang out with him. We went snowboarding together a couple days ago and it was a fun time. I like hanging out with him as a friend but I don't want to start a romantic relationship with him. Right now I don't have many friends to hang out with so his company is appreciated. He invited me to hang out at his house but I feel awkward about going because I don't really want to start anything physical. I know there is temptation there. I've been single for awhile and sometimes want to do something physical because of the excitement but I feel like i'd end up regreting it and everyone at work would probably end up knowing about it. I don't really want to lose the friendship but I also don't really want to give into temptations and do something i'll regret. What is some advice?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Angela replied 6 years ago.
Hello Xkg,
Friendships are built upon and sustained with honest communication. All relationships are built upon communication and it takes two to make a friendship work. So I think that it would be best for you to tell your friend that you really enjoy the friendship but are not comfortable going to his house. If he is a real friend he will respect your honest communication and simply continue to spend time with you outside of his house. However, if for some reason he pressures you or gets an attitude due to you not wanting to go to his house, then obviously he would not be a true friend due to disrespecting your feelings and comfort level. Also, I think that you are 100% correct in thinking that if something physical did happen your entire workplace would know. If down the road you decide to have a physical relationship with your friend, then you would also have to prepare mentally and emotionally for the reality of your workplace knowing your personal business.