Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.
19260254

My boyfriend is going through a very hard time right now.

My boyfriend is going through a very hard time right now. In the last few years, he lost the job he loved, he's gained a lot of weight and now he's about to lose his current job (which he hates). He also has a high amount of debt. I can't get him to talk to me about what's going on...he just spends most of his time focusing on his online game, I assume as a way to escape. Everytime I try to talk about things, he gets very defensive and we end up arguin. How can I help him get out of this slump? Is there anything I can do, or do I just have to wait it out?
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 7 years ago.

Good Evening,

It is possible that he is focusing on the game as a way of avoiding the reality.

He would have to want to get help. It sounds that you are encouraging him to do so.

A site that he may want to explore is http://www.financialsocialwork.com/

While he is still employed he could try to use the EAP benefits to get some free counseling. You may offer to go with him to an appointment for support. Just continue to let him know that you are concern and that you would rather see him confront the issues than avoid them.