Angela, Counselor
Experience:  n/a

My boyfriend and I had been dating for 1 year and 3 months

Customer Question

My boyfriend and I had been dating for 1 year and 3 months and then all of a sudden he asked if he could have more alone time. This would've been fine with me but he had been acting somewhat distant towards me for about a week so I confronted him about it. He said that he doesn't love me anymore and he doesn't know why. He said I did nothing wrong and he still enjoys spending time with me and is still attracted to me. He swears it's not a commitment issue. We were broken up for 2 weeks but he said he missed me so much that we agreed to try and work it out. It's been a little over a month now that we've been back together and he said nothing has changed but things seem exactly like they did when we were in love. I'm still very much in love with him. He's still affectionate and we still have a lot of sex. Should I continue dating him when we still have so much fun and get along so well and wait and see if things change? Or should I choose to end things when I still love him?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Angela replied 6 years ago.
Hello Clementine,
I don't know why he states that he fell out of love all of a sudden, I would really need to have actually known him to guess better. However, in general when people make statements like this, it sometimes stems from being afraid and it sometimes stems just from selfishly wanting to have their cake and eat it too without caring about how it affects the other person in the relationship. Honestly, based on all that we have written, especially you feeling physically sick, I would explain to him why you are ending the relationship now. But if you insist on giving him more time........please no longer than another week (-remember you are the one hurting and feeling physically sick).