Dr.G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota

I am dating a man for 2 years now and we are planning on getting

I am dating a man for 2 years now and we are planning on getting married in Nov. He has joint custody of his 8 yr old son who he adores.. The little boy is great but not too expressive when it comes to feelings and emotions.. How and when should he tell his son that we are getting married and planning to have more children, hence he will have siblings and be part of a family..
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr.G. replied 6 years ago.
Tell him right away. 8 year-olds are not going to express their feelings; this is normal behavior. But if you know you are definitely getting married then tell the boy. Just sit him down and say that we are getting married and gage his reaction from there. If he seems upset then that is when you talk about still being a part of the family and no love will be lost, etc.. If he handles it well then no need to elaborate on it. Just be straight out with it.