Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.
19260254

My friend passed away a few months ago and her husband has

My friend passed away a few months ago and her husband has taken their 7 year old daughter to live with them. They also had a 19 year old son who did no follow his father. He has children with the other woman and I truly believe that my friend would not like to see her daughter to be raised by the woman who destroyed her home. I am concern about their little girl though. What can be the long term psychological consequences that this little girl can face in the future?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 6 years ago.

Good Afternoon,

It is not possible to make exact predictions of how the child would be affected (that depends on many factors from her coping skills to the external support she receives from her dad)

It is possible that your friend would have wanted her child to be with her bio dad and to be in a safe home. At least hopefully he is providing for that.

The girl will go through the grief process of losing mom and also of having to adjust to the new home environment and the new "mother in law" Even though this woman may have plaid a partial role in the split of of the parents, it is possible that she is affectionate to the child.

As any individual this child will need role models, would need to develop her self esteem, etc. Those are all qualities that the family can play a role in (whether real biological or extended family)