Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.

I am a 48 yr. old woman and re-married a year ago. I and have

Customer Question

I am a 48 yr. old woman and re-married a year ago. I and have a 16 yr. old son from previous marriage. It’s been a year of integration and getting to know each other more and more. My son and husband can't get to communicate their needs and expectations between each other very well. My son is discrete and does not like to share much in general .I have learned to give him space to come to me when ever he feels open and ready to share details of what happened in his day at school, football and such. My husband is very, very open and talkative and wants to share everything usually more than needed, he feels frustrated with my kid and ignored, he makes it personal. I have tried to create with my husband the awareness that the main reason and essence of our new family is him and I. That a relationship with my son will develop in the years to come. That he is a teenager and has been thru a lot, since my son and I moved from Mexico City to San Diego CA two years ago.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 6 years ago.

Good Afternoon,

Perhaps you can reassure your husband that the way your son behaves is not a personal attack. Some people are more introverted while other extroverted (and it sounds that your husband is an extrovert) People also have different styles/ways of communicating information to each other. Try to have your husband focus on the positive, perhaps on experiential things such as sports, fishing (whatever the two of them can share as as common interest)

You are correct. Relationships and harmony develop over time. Perhaps your son is being cautious fearing disappointment. That may be the reason for appearing more reserved as well as his personality style.