Dr.G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota

Ive been married since Jan 09 after only meeting my wife 2

Customer Question

I've been married since Jan 09 after only meeting my wife 2 months before we were married. She has anxiety mostly about our relationship, for no reason. She has a short temper and can get angry and at times can go into an unexpected rage and a couple of times threw things. Earlier this year my wife went from "talking" about a problem we had into a sudden rage. She beat me over the head with both fits and kicked me seven times in the chest as I was on the ground. Before the police came, she cut both her arms and blamed me to keep herself from going to jail. The police were not too sure about her story and didn’t arrest anybody. She has since been charged by the prosecutor and I’ve been subpoenaed to testify again her. She has apologized, but her family was left to believe that I cut her and out of fear that they will be subpoenaed, she has not told them the truth. Should I stay in this relationship?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr.G. replied 6 years ago.
Scotty we have talked about this situation before and how hazardous it is for you to stay. She has abused you and then tried to cover it up. Now you are in a whole bunch of legal trouble. What are your reasons for staying? If you stay in the marriage without drastic intervention (i.e. marital counseling) then you are going to get more of the same from her. Now can you live with that? I wish you the best but like I said in the previous post, things were rushed from the beginning and you guys don't really know each other. She has anxiety about the relationship because 1) she is regretting making the decision and 2) she is finding out she really does not want to be with you. Which one of you is going to make the first move to end it?