Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.

OK...I am divorced and have been single for four years. Have

Customer Question

OK...I am divorced and have been single for four years. Have two wonderful sons. I see a childhood friend every so often because our kids go to school together. She has become friends with a guy from our High School, stating that he often mentions when asked why he's not married, he states he's "waiting for me(insert my name!)" Asked if he was going to the reunion, he stated only if "I" went. Finally, two months ago, I see her at school, and she mentions something AGAIN that he said about me (complimentary) and states that I should let her give him my number. I thought about it, and said "sure". He never called..I didn't really stress, no big deal. Then I started having fond memories of him (we were great friends...I suppose I knew he was in love with me, and never took him seriously), so I send him a holiday card. NO RESPONSE!!! Ridiculous, right? The thing is, he is a sweet, successful, funny(!), decent guy...all the things I've come to appreciate Please tell me your take.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 6 years ago.

Good Afternoon,

Man can be unpredictable. It is possible that he is wanting to keep his horizon open (that includes trying to connect with others from the past w/o any main commitment on the line)

Try not to over analyze what he may have said (actions speak louder than words at times)

Even though you have shared good times/memories from the past, life is such that people change to an extent/ their priorities change. If the the kind of a response you were seeking is not coming just move on and keep the found memories from the past.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, I understand. I just thought that it would have been nice to have a new (male) friend because I have made a conscious decision to focus on my sons and have isolated myself somewhat. Please be you think my sending the card after not hearing from him looked pushy, or worse, desperate?... because I truly did not give much thought to it and I was attempting to be friendly after he had been saying such nice things about me. I'm sure he remembers that I never pursued men, especially him!!! I know how men can misinterpret thing. as well (and have wrong perceptions of women). I think, ultimately, that it was rude of him not to even send a casual card in return, and leave it at that. Perhaps he is not as nice as I thought he was. What should I say if I run into my girl friend (more of a present acquaintance) if she asked if I heard from him? I want to make light of the situation...and move on.
Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 6 years ago.
You've sent a card for the holidays - nothing wrong with that. you could say you've not heard back yet and that either way you're ok and not necessarily provide her with too much info.