Dr.G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota

While sitting on the couch with my boyfriend on new years eve

While sitting on the couch with my boyfriend on new years eve a text message came on his phone that read, Sweet dreams, arent' we the party animals and this was from his ex wife. I asked him to see the other text message with her number on them and he told me no and that I needed to trust him. He has been know to lie on numerous occassions and this told me he was doing that again. Then when I asked him for the last time to show me or move out he told me he deleted them, i asked why and he said i needed to trust him without him proving himself. 1. do i trust him 2. since he cheated on her and lied to me in the past how can i ever and do you feel by this behavior if he was hiding something. Thank you
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr.G. replied 6 years ago.
I always go by people's actions and not by what they say. So according to his actions he is being deceitful and causing you not to trust him. If he did not have anything to hide then he wouldn't be sneaky with his text messages. My guess is there might be something going on. You need to let him know what he needs to do to prove your trust. His actions need to prove it so lay it out to him as clearly as possible what he needs to do in order for you to trust him. If he cannot do this for you then you have your answer and need to find someone who you can trust. Good luck.