Dr.G.
Dr.G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota
15682972

Im having some trouble with my live-in BF. He says that he

Customer Question

I'm having some trouble with my live-in BF. He says that he is frustrated and confused and doesn't know if he wants to be with me anymore. I asked him if he wants me to move out and he said that he's not sure about what he wants but that he doesn't want me to move out right now. He also says that he loves me and he's not sure if he is still IN love with me. He said something has changed. However, He can be hot one minute and cold the next. I'm so upset and devastated. I still want to be in the relationship. Any advice?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr.G. replied 7 years ago.
Very confusing situation when the one you are with doesn't know if they want to be with you. Have you told him what you want? How long have you two been together both in the relationship and living together? Does he have a plan for the future?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We have always talked about the future. Including marriage and children. By the way I'm 27 and he's 32. It was more him than me most of the time. He asked to move from my home in MD and move down to TX to be with him. He bought us a house, which he told me all of the time " I bought this house for you". We have been together for two years. We are very much alike and have a lot of fun together. This move was a big transition for me , and still is. The only person I know in Texas is him. It has been hard to find a job and go to school. I just wish that he would understand and appreciate what I have done for him, and cut me some slack. I deceided that I should go back to MD for a month so he could figure out what he wants, and what I want. I'm going to leave in few days. I don't want to , but I think that he is crying out for some space and that's what I'll give him. I hope this works out , but I just don't know if it will. What does it mean when a man says he is confused and frustrated and gives you mix signals? Hot one minute and cold the next. Is he really confused , or is he just buying some more time to figure out how to get rid of me?
Expert:  Dr.G. replied 7 years ago.
Sounds to me that he is just buying time to get rid of you or that he wants to push you away so that you get rid of him. The best you can do in this situation is confront him on these mixed signals and tell him you want some definite answers. You can also give him the time apart that he wants but there should be some time line. Otherwise you might be waiting forever.