Dr.G.
Dr.G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota
15682972

Where to start I am in a relationship that is going on over

Where to start? I am in a relationship that is going on over 5.5 years now. My problem is I'm not sure if I am truly happy and if I have found the girl I want to spend the rest of my life with. I feel like I am content but the passion is not really there anymore. I am looking for guidance or maybe just reassurance on how I feel and if I should just move on or not. I care a lot about the girl and don't want to hurt her but I think I should find someone that brings out the best in me and can truly be my best friend with more interests in common. There is definitely more to the story such as we have broken up twice throughout the time we have been together but I just need to start somewhere.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr.G. replied 4 years ago.
I think your reflection on the relationship may be a sign that things are not heading in the right direction. I think it is important to have your significant other be your best friend. But of course there are things to do to recreate the passion. You do have to have things in common though because that saying opposites attract is bogus. I wonder if you are hesitant to end it because of he 5 year history? I think you should sit down with her and tell her your feelings before you make any drastic move. See if she can't help you with your decision and your questions regarding the relationship. I think that should be were you start.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am hesistant due to the length of the relationship. I also realize that due to the rollercoaster of feelings about the relationship, I am curious about what my life could be like with someone else. I did have a recent drinking incident(kissing) with another women from work. I am trying to detemine if I do things like this because I am not happy? I want to treat the person I am going to spend the rest of my life with fairly and not do these things but is my drunken episode really telling the truth to my bottled up feelings? Or was it just a drunk episode? I must say I had a lot of fun dancing and being me...which I am not sure if I have that anymore at home. Maybe I just am not ready for the rest of my life as I am only 26.
Expert:  Dr.G. replied 4 years ago.
I think you continue to give evidence and support to ending the relationship. You are letting fear stop you from moving on with your life. If you respected and cared for your your woman at all then you would not have kissed another woman. It seems like you are dragging the relationship out because you are afraid to be honest and end it. It is not to late to get out but you have to have courage to do so with respect.
Dr.G., Psychologist
Experience: Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota