Anna
Anna, Social Worker
Experience:  29 years experience in addictions & mental health. I'll tell you my honest opinion.
20023641

After 42 years of marriage, my husband and I have grown so

After 42 years of marriage, my husband and I have grown so far apart, I don't think we will ever get back what we once had. He can't make love to me, I feel so unattractive and worthless, I don't know what to do. He has women friends, and his sister who he is very close to, I know he isn't having an affair, however; I feel he thinks of them as peaceful, fun, relaxed. While I represent the real world of Bills, health issues, just everyday life. I am only 60 years old and I am not ready to accept just a companion like relationship, I feel like I am married to my brother, we don't kiss anymore or talk about anything fun, we used to be able to laugh and talk all the time, now he has his room he watches TV in and I have a seperate room. We haven't slept together in over two years. Is my marraige over? I have tried to talk to him, however; he just gets angry and storms out of the house. What do I do? Thank You
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.

Hi Nance,

How sad for you. 42 years later, and you've got a man who won't deal with you and the reality of your situation. Is there any chance that he's gotten clinically depressed? Clicking on the blue link will give you information on it and the symptoms. If he has, it could certainly be causing the problems that you're talking about and getting treatment is easy - just tell your doctor.

I support you in not accepting less than what you deserve in a partnership - at any age. I would sit down with him and let him know you're not playing 'chase' with him anymore. That you want to seek help to deal with your marriage, and that if he won't, you're going to hear that as his way of saying, "Good bye". You're a full partner in your marriage, and if your other half has left the building, call him back in, and put your cards up on the table. You've got plenty of life left at 60 - too much to settle down in a rocker with your brother on the front porch.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Thanks!

Anna

Anna, Social Worker
Experience: 29 years experience in addictions & mental health. I'll tell you my honest opinion.