Dr.G.
Dr.G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota
15682972

My girlfriend and I have been having a disagreement. Before

My girlfriend and I have been having a disagreement. Before I get to it, I'd like to say that we have been dating almost 2 years and live together. Every Thursday, I go over to a friend's house and play Dungeons & Dragons (yes, I know I'm a nerd) from about 5-5:30 to about 11 to midnight. My girlfriend says that she wants me home by 11:00, but even that is a bit late. She says that by being out late, I am causing her to not sleep and thus not get enough rest for work in the morning at about 7:30 am. I do not like the idea of having to leave before we have finished, and I feel that she is being a little unreasonable for telling me when I should be home. She thinks it is abnormal for a significant other to stay out as late as I have been. She thinks I am being unreasonable by insisting on staying out to the time that I want.

I never go out to clubs, bars, or get into any situation where I could cheat (and I wouldn't).

Am I being unreasonable?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr.G. replied 7 years ago.
You are absolutely not being unreasonable. The issue is with her not being comfortable being by herself. If this is your thing that you do then she needs to respect that. Especially if you are not hanging at bars. Tell her she needs to find her thing to do to get off your back. You haven't changed this in two years and so why start now. Good luck.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I should clarify that there was a time when I'd come home at 10:30 or so in most cases. This was when I was in charge of the game and I had literal control over when we finished. I didn't like stopping so early then, either, but I exerted my control over the game to make her happy. Now I don't have that control, but I'd like to stay until our session is completed.
Expert:  Dr.G. replied 7 years ago.
Then stay. She needs to understand this is something you like to do and if it keeps you out of trouble then good for you.