Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Counselor
Experience:  PHD LPC

I dont even know where to start. My fiance whom ive been with

I dont even know where to start. My fiance whom ive been with for 4 years, we have a 2 year old, doesnt seem to care enough about me to do anything just because it would make me happy. there is always another reason if he does happen to go above and beyond and lets say vacuum upstairs while im at work. He has been layed off for almost an entire year, I work full time as an oncology RN, clinical supervisor inpatient. I even bring our son to the sitter for a couple of days a week, he wont even help me get him out the door. There are so many other things that are bothering me about the relationship but what can I do to make him at least clean the house well, so i dont have to after working all day.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 6 years ago.
Hi and welcome

It sounds as though the two of you could use some couples counseling. I would suggest that as a first step. Your job is one that takes a lot out of a person and people who do your job historically are "caretakers". If that is you, then he may just be used to you doing it all. I agree it would be nice for him to do something for you without you asking and do it to make you happy. If he has been out of work for awhile he may be depressed, not an excuse at all but maybe that contributes to his lack of thoughtfulness. Counseling would be a big plus for you two. I would also tell him that he has to help more with your son and you can work on that aspect in counseling too.
Please click accept and leave feedback.