Dr.G.
Dr.G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota
15682972

Is it too late to confront my brother-in-law who abused me

Is it too late to confront my brother-in-law who abused me 35 years ago? Would it be ok to do this via a letter?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr.G. replied 6 years ago.
I say it is never too late. Confront him in whatever medium you feel is comfortable for yourself. Keep in mind that doing so should be for yourself and your well-being and not to get some sort of response from him or any type of answers because you may not get the answers you are looking for. Therefore, send the letter with no strings attached and no expectations from him. You will feel better in the long run.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you Adam. My relationship with my sister has always been strained because of his presence. She is critically ill in hospital and he has tried to control who visits. As she is not at home she will not see the letter so I feel it is safe to send it.My other sister feels it may be detrimental to his wife if he tells her. I don't think he would gain anything by that. I still find him intimidating, he ruined my sex life and I have cried over and over about the fact I never confronted him in the past. He laughed at me then and has been laughing ever since. I am just worried about how I will feel seeing him at the hospital afterwards?
Expert:  Dr.G. replied 6 years ago.
I think you will feel empowered as you have turned the corner and refused to be a victim from this. You should be proud of yourself for standing up and confronting him. However he takes it or your sister takes it is their problem. You need to do what is best for you.